Hungry from something new? Try this perfect Moroccan Chicken and Olive tagine, which is sure to impress your family and friends any day of the week.
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1kg chicken (chicken thighs bone in or whole chicken or mix)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 16 pitted kalamata olives
- 1 large adalia lemon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 carrots
- 5 zucchini
- Melt ghee in deep pot over high heat. Mix garlic, ginger, paprika, cumin and turmeric together and add to ghee. Mix for a minute to deepen the flavor of the spices then add chicken pieces to brown.
- While chicken browning, add thick cut carrots and zucchini to tagine* raw along with cinnamon stick. Once chicken has browned on all sides, put on top of the vegetables in the tagine and add onions to the same pot to caramelize (turn down heat to medium-low).
- Preheat oven to 200C. Once caramelized, add onions to the tagine and scatter pitted and halved olives over the tagine as well.
- Zest the adalia lemon and then cut into chunks. Squeeze some of the juice over the chicken and the scatter the zest and lemon chunks all over. Pour chicken stock over and seal the tagine tightly.
- Cook for 1.5 hours or until vegetables are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with couscous or rice! (For simple couscous, bring 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable stock to boil. Turn off heat and add 1 cup couscous and leave covered to steam. After 5 minutes, fluff with fork.
*If you don’t have a tagine, you can substitute any oven-proof deep baking dish with lid or covered with foil.